Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review of the 10th Annual CMT Music Awards Show

What can I say and where should I begin with the 10th Annual, 2011 CMT Music Awards show, that is completely fan voted? 

Well, what a show, eh?  And I do mean "show".  I felt like the CMT music awards show was more or less showcasing plain Jane entertainment rather than appreciation and recognition for the music and the artists.  I mean the smoke, the lights, the special effects on the big screen behind the artists as they performed and the back-up dancers on stage...what happened to just an artist, a guitar and a song?  

Then again this was a music awards show for Nashville country music.  If you follow my blog you know where I am going with this, but let's not go there.  Let's just focus on what was good about the show and not get too bogged down in the bad stuff.  Though some of the bad stuff will have to be mentioned. 


Some things that really stuck out to me when I was watching the awards show is that Kid Rock as the host did an all right job.  He kept it together for the most part and of course kept it clean and family viewing appropriate.  

The little off to the side stage they have where new and upcoming artists perform like one-fourth of their songs, ticks me off!  Some of the better country artists perform on that stage and you don't even get to hear their whole song.  Makes me mad!  I want to hear the whole darn song, not just one-fourth of a song, then cut to a commercial break.  Bull snot!

Verizon's Collaboration Video of the Year winner was Rascal Flatts and Justin Bieber.  What the Hell?!  Seriously, I can't believe that video won.  I guess there is just too many young tweens and teens out there with Bieber fever. Ughhh...can't believe that.

The Band Perry had the best live performance of the night in my opinion with their song, You Lie.  That was great how the three of them gathered around one microphone and sang, then scattered about onto stage.  Kimberly Perry's emotions and passion really shined through, making that I believe The Band Perry's own personal best live performance.  

 Luke Bryan has been Nashville countrifried.  I think we have lost him to the commercial side of Nashville, bless his heart.  Luke Bryan performed his new single on stage and had women back-up dancers.  First off, I don't like the song to begin with because it's definitely way too commercial and secondly back-up dancers really?  Come on, Luke, write and sing songs like you did with your first two albums.  Please.


Well, at least there was one right winner and that was  Female Video of the Year, Miranda Lambert with the House that Built Me.   Enough said, there.


This has to be said...Zac Brown's little google things he put on when performing on stage.  Lovely!  Loved those!


I am going to be nice about this one...Video of the Year...the big enchilada of all of the awards at the show.  Taylor Swift with her song, Mine.  Really?!  There's too many tweens, tennyboppers and teens out there voting.

Lastly, I would like to comment on the ending performance of the night.  Jason Aldean and Ludacris, singing Dirt Road Anthem.  All right that song is originally wrote and sung by Brantley Gilbert and Colt Ford.  Brantley and Colt do a Hell of a lot better job with the song than Jason Aldean or Ludacris could ever dream about doing.


All in all the 2011 CMT Music Awards show was okay.  It was mostly geared towards entertaining viewers, which I will give them and A- in, but in regards to showcasing great country music and country artists, I give an F.  If there was a grade worse than F, I would give that.

Try this link to watch The Band Perry's performance and other performances:  http://www.cmt.com/videos/?artist=3443293

Brantley Gilbert and Colt Ford:  Dirt Road Anthem (THE ORIGINAL)

No comments:

Post a Comment