Saturday, November 12, 2011

Artist of the Week:  Alborosie

  
Sicily-born, non-Jamaican, white man making Reggae music.  How did I not know this?!

I played Alborosie's song, Humbleness, on my last radio show on Monday.  And I have played some songs off that album, Escape from Babylon To The Kingdom of Zion, before, but just never really realized who Alborosie was till, I read an article on NPR.org called, Non-Jamaican Reggae:  Who's Making It And Who's Buying It.

Alborosie was born Alberto D' Ascola and discovered reggae at age 14 and he began his musical career in the Italian Reggae band, Reggae National Tickets.  

After forming his own band the Reggae National Tickets in 1993 and performing on sold-out tours, selling over 200,000 units and making a name for himself in the Euro music scene he decided to make the move to Kingston, Jamaica.  

Alborosie has also worked with artists such as:  Mario, Angie Stone, Jewel, Sisqo, No Doubt, Wyclef and Les Nubians.  He has also collaborated with All-stars Dean Frazer, Beenie Man, Lutan Fya and many Jamaican artists. 

I also discovered that Alborosie was the first white artist to be distributed by Bob Marley's label, Tuff Gong.  How did I play this artist and not know about his legendary status?  I don't know, but I making up for it now.

Alborosie Home Website


Alborosie Facebook

Alborosie myspace

"Herbalist"



"Kingston Town"


No comments:

Post a Comment