Sunday, July 31, 2011

Artist of the Week:  Gillian Welch

All right, shame on me...I don't really put that many woman musicians as artist of the week on The Crescendo...so shame on me..I know.  I am woman and should be all like girl power and put more woman musicicans on The Crescendo, but I just haven't.  But to kick-off putting more woman musicians on The Crescendo here's a pretty kick-ass one.


Gillian Welch is a dark and edgy singer-songwriter from New York City with an array of musical styles combining elements of Americana, folk, rock and bluegrass.  

Gillian has a musical partner that is her guitarist, David Rawlings.  And what I could find out about the two is that they both attended the Berklee College of Music where Gillian was studying songwriting and Dave studied the guitar. They met each other at an audition for a country band.  At some point in time they both moved together to Nashville, Tennessee; where most of their work has been produced.  They have had songs recorded by Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson and Solomon Burke.  

They both have released five albums.  Most recently, they released an album on June 28, 2011, called The Harrow & The Harvest.  This is their first album since their 2003 album, Soul Journey.  That long of gap can only mean that their 2011 album The Harrow & The Harvest is going to be of epic proportions.  


I listened to a few of Gillian's songs and I really liked them.  Her songs are very dark, edgy, deep and soulful and I love every single one that I listened to.  So, definitely check this chick's music out. Plus she maybe more of a popular name coming about the musical world soon, since today (July 31st) she is playing at the Newport Folk Festival in Newport, Rhode Island.

Home Website:  http://www.gillianwelch.com/news/ 
myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/gillianwelch

"Orphan Girl" By Gillian Welch

"Wrecking Ball" By Gillian Welch

"Tennessee" By Gillian Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment