Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Who's Hank?

My heart sank as she asked me, "Who's Hank?"


What?!  

Should I die now or die a slow, painful death as you slowly yank the dagger you just shanked into my chest?


I wrote a poem about some of my favorite songwriters for my poetry class that my classmates were reviewing to give me feedback on.  In the poem, I referenced names like Dylan, Guthrie and...Hank.  These names should stand alone, but to some...I guess they don't. 


I would have been cool with the question, "Are you referring to Hank Williams Senior or Junior?"  Now, that's an acceptable question that my heart can bear.


Who's Hank?  You're kidding, right?  No, one of the girls reviewing my poem was serious.  

Wow...what are we teaching kids these days?!


Also another girl reviewing my  poem said, "Wow, these are all songwriters.  You did a lot of research for this poem."


I didn't know how to tell my review group that I didn't do any research for this poem...I just know.


I turned in an extra copy of some of poems to my professor and he gave me back the poem were I referenced some of my favorite songwriters.  He wrote one comment.  "Why so much effort in this poem compared to your other poems."


I know his comment, which is actually a question is rhetorical, but if I could answer him I would say..."I didn't put any effort into this poem.  I wrote what I knew or know, and also I wrote this poem while I was drunk."  That's the honest truth!  No kidding!


I pretty much just proved Ernest Hemmingway right.  "Write drunk.  Edit Sober."

No comments:

Post a Comment