Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Could Live Music Save The US Economy?


By no means, am I a political person!  However I found this very interesting article about Australia's live music scene and it got me thinking.  What if, what if the US had the same approach to their live music scene as Australia does.

Australia's venue-based live music industry entertains over 41 million patrons, contributes $1.21 billion to the national economy and provides almost 15,000 full-time jobs.  

The research was conducted by Ernst & Young and they measured the contributions from pubs/bars, clubs, restaurants/cafes and nightclubs on a national level from the venue owner/manager's perspective. 
(These findings were found by the 2011 National Live Music Research study commissioned by the Australasian Performing Right Association and many more others.) 

Wow, that $1.21 billion to the national economy...really caught my eye.  That's a lot of dough!  How big is the US national debt?  Also the 15,000 full-time jobs...yeah...how many people are currently unemployed in the US?  Hmmm...could the US learn something from the Aussies...if you know what I mean and where I'm getting at here???   

Now, hear me out.  I realize that the US is home of the world's capital of live music, which is Austin, Texas.  But that's just in Austin and though the entire state of Texas is pretty well known for its live music scene, Texas can't be the only state in the US held accountable for carrying the weight of being the main beneficiary for supporting live music.

I believe live music could perhaps maybe not save the US economy, but give it that extra boost.  It's like having one extra shot of espresso...it may just do the trick.  Live music just might give the US that little bit of extra energy to move forward.   

I may not have to tell you, but I'm going to tell you anyways, why a live music scene is so important.  Live music can serve as an incubator and training grounds for local talent and independent artists to expand and improve their creative development, as well as nourish (or unfortunately, sometimes torment or tease) their artistic minds and souls.

Like I said, I am not a political person, but I found this article and it just got me thinking and I bet...I just got you thinking too, so tell me what you think by commenting below. ;-)

~Peace, Happiness and Music~

No comments:

Post a Comment